In this Article
Putting It All Together: Acne
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to acne.
- Acne is a skin condition caused by overactive oil glands.
- Acne usually occurs in people during their teen and young adult years.
- High production of male hormones stimulate overproduction of oil.
bacteriacan contribute to the problem by reacting with the oil. Whiteheads, blackheadsand cysts will occur from poreblockage.
- Early treatment of acne has a high success rate.
- Topical creams of benzoyl peroxide,
antibiotics, or retinoidsare effective treatments for acne.
- More severe acne cases require oral antibiotics or a synthetic (made from chemicals) vitamin A (essential for growth of healthy skin).