In this Article
Glaucoma: Putting It All Together
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to glaucoma.
- Glaucoma is actually the name for a group of diseases that can destroy the
optic nerve, the main nerve of the eye. Any one of them can lead to irreversible blindness by damaging the optic nerve.
- Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness in the world today. It doesn’t have to be.
- Any vision lost to glaucoma is lost for good. It does not come back.
- Glaucoma cannot be cured, but it can be treated and controlled.
- Early detection and prompt treatment can save eyesight.