Tonsillitis And Tonsillectomy
Tonsillitis and Tonsillectomy: Putting It All TogetherWednesday, April 25, 2012 - 15:37
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to tonsillitis and tonsillectomy:
- Tonsillitis is an infection of the
tonsilsthat can be caused either by a virus or by bacteria.
- Sore throat, pain while swallowing, fever, and difficulty speaking are common symptoms of tonsillitis.
- Penicillin is the best antibiotic for treating tonsillitis, unless your child is allergic to it. This medication should be taken for at least 10 days.
- Most children do not require surgical removal of their tonsils. There are definite indications for removal.
- Children who have surgery to remove the tonsils are often able to come home the same day, but should rest for 2 to 3 days and avoid vigorous exercise for 2 weeks.