Stress: Putting It All TogetherTuesday, April 24, 2012 - 16:25
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to stress:
- Stress is the emotional and physical strain caused by our response to pressure from the outside world.
- The mental symptoms of stress include tension, irritability, inability to concentrate, feeling excessively tired, and having trouble sleeping.
- The physical symptoms of stress include dry mouth, a pounding heart, difficulty breathing, stomach upset, frequent urination, sweating palms, and tense muscles that may cause pain and trembling.
- The four types of stress signs include changes in body functions and physical health, changes in emotions and feelings, changes in behavior, and changes in thoughts.
- Stress has been linked to serious diseases such as heart disease and cancer, and to a variety of other physical and emotional disorders.
- One method of stress management is called the TARP method, which involves noticing early signs of stress, figuring out the causes, dealing with the effects on the body, and developing good stress-reduction techniques.
- Other methods of managing stress include humor, meditation, hobbies, biofeedback, and
- Medication can be useful for dealing with short periods of acute stress, but it does not address the underlying problem.
- Some people find it helpful to see an expert in stress management, who can assess which techniques best suit their skills, temperament, and needs. Professional who help individuals cope with stress include psychologists, psychotherapists, nurses, physicians, exercise instructors, and dietitians.