Radiation Therapy: Putting It All TogetherTuesday, April 24, 2012 - 12:32
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to radiation therapy.
- Radiation therapy involves the use of high doses of
radiationto kill cancercells.
- New advances have made radiation therapy safer and more effective than ever.
External radiationtreatments are scheduled four or five days a week for several weeks. You must complete all sessions to achieve the best result. Internal radiationtherapy is now being used for more types of cancer.
- If you experience side effects, tell your doctor or nurse right away.
- Take good care of yourself by resting when you can and eating properly.
- Seek the counsel of a friend, family member, or healthcare professional if you feel emotionally overwhelmed.
- Skin in the treated area may become sensitive and easily irritated.