PAP Smear: Putting It All TogetherMonday, April 23, 2012 - 13:03
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to Pap smear.
- The Pap smear is the only procedure that can detect early cancerous or potentially cancerous conditions of the
- The Pap smear is a screening technique. It is used to detect abnormalities in women who do not have any disease symptoms. It is not a diagnostic procedure. Although the Pap test is a highly effective method of detecting cervical abnormalities, it cannot identify the abnormalities it detects.
- The Pap smear cannot prove that a woman doesn't have cervical cancer.
- A girl or woman who is at least 18 years old or who is or has been sexually active should have a Pap smear every year unless her doctor says she should be tested more or less often.
- Having regular Pap smears is the most important thing a woman can do to protect herself from cervical cancer.