How Long Does Healing Take?Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 10:09
Everyone heals at different rates, so the following points are general guidelines only for healing from liposuction:
- If you had stitches, they will usually be removed within the first week after surgery.
- Bruises take three weeks or longer to fade after liposuction and about six weeks after ultrasound-assisted liposuction.
- Swelling can take six months to disappear but begins to recede after the first week.
- Numbness in the treated area nearly always goes away in three months, often sooner.
- Wait until your wounds heal before you have sexual intercourse.
- In most cases, you may resume your normal activities within a few weeks. However, avoid strenuous exercise for a month.
How Soon Can I Return To Work After Liposuction?
How much time you will need to take off work depends on your general fitness and the extent of your surgery. Most people who have a small area treated may return to non-strenuous work within several days or a week. If you have a larger area treated, you may need up to three weeks of rest before you may return to work. Ultrasound-assisted liposuction may require two weeks of recovery without work.