Hormone Replacement Therapy
Hormone Replacement Therapy: Putting It All TogetherTuesday, April 10, 2012 - 11:54
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to hormone replacement therapy.
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been shown to be effective in reducing troublesome symptoms of
menopause, such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and disrupted sleep.
- A woman's natural production of
estrogendoes not usually stop suddenly, but decreases over a period of several years.
- Lack of estrogen contributes to the risk of
osteoporosis. HRT reduces the risk of this serious health problems and provides other health benefits.
- HRT has potential risks and is not right for everyone. Women should weigh the benefits against the risks in order to decide if HRT is right for them.
- HRT is available in several different forms, including tablets, skin patches, injections and creams.
- Some women experience side effects when beginning HRT, but they are usually short-lasting and can be managed.