Epilepsy: Putting It All TogetherThursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:52
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to epilepsy.
- Epilepsy is not a mental illness, and it does not cause mental illness.
- Most epilepsy can be successfully treated with medications.
- There are several different types of epileptic seizures-some are quite mild, while others are more severe.
- Epilepsy does not necessarily keep people from driving or holding a job.
- Epileptic seizures cannot be stopped by holding the person who is having the
seizure. Trying to do so will only harm the person.
- Do not put anything in the mouth of a person having a seizure.
- Epilepsy is not contagious.
- Only rare forms of epilepsy are inherited.