Putting It All Together: BronchitisTuesday, March 20, 2012 - 17:03
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to bronchitis.
- Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes (or bronchi), which are the air passages that extend from the windpipe into the lungs.
- No matter what their occupation or lifestyle, people who smoke cigarettes are most likely to develop chronic bronchitis.
- The symptoms of chronic bronchitis include coughing and/or
sputumproduction for three or more years, yellow or green sputum, shortness of breath, and increased cough.
- There is currently no cure for chronic bronchitis. Treatment is focused on making the symptoms less and trying to prevent further damage.
- Quitting smoking is the most essential step in treating chronic bronchitis.