To prevent attacks of sinusitis:
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise and a balanced diet.
- Keep air filtration systems in your home or workplace clean.
- Use nose plugs when swimming or diving in a pool, to keep chlorine from irritating the sinuses.
- Drink plenty of fluids to maintain adequate moisture in the body.
- Use a humidifier if air is dry, especially during winter months when artificial heat intensifies the dryness of the air.
- Avoid allergens whenever possible.
- Use coffee, tea, alcohol, and dairy products in moderation.
- Do not smoke, and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Avoid stress as much as possible.
- Take vitamin supplements to maintain a healthy immune system.
- There is some evidence that garlic tablets (available at a pharmacy or health food store) can help strengthen the immune system.