The Importance of ExerciseFriday, November 8, 2013 - 13:10
Exercise is a healthy part of any pregnancy. For women with diabetes, regular exercise:
- Reduces stress
- Improves strength and flexibility
- Helps your body use insulin better
- Controls your weight
- Leads to a quicker recovery after delivery
How Does Exercise Affect Blood Sugar?
Both exercise and insulin lower blood sugar. The combination can result in
- Know the signs of low blood sugar (confusion, shakiness, extreme hunger).
- Always carry a source of sugar, such as hard candy or dried fruit, in case your blood sugar dips too low.
- Have small snacks between meals.
Need To Know:
Feel your abdomen during exercise. If it feels very hard, you're exercising too intensely and should stop. If it's soft, you are working at the proper intensity.
How To Information:
Check with your doctor before starting or continuing an exercise program. Here are some tips: