Putting It All Together: Colon CancerTuesday, March 20, 2012 - 18:28
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to colorectal cancer.
Coloncancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the U.S.
- Colon cancer is most easily treated and cured when detected early, before cancer has spread.
- Age and health history affect who is at risk for developing colon cancer.
- Symptoms of possible colon cancer include blood in the stool or a change in bowel habits.
- Routine screening can detect colon cancer early and prevent the development of cancer by removing
polypsbefore they become cancerous.
chemotherapy, and radiation therapymay be used to treat colon cancer.
- Treatment is based on many factors and is customized for each patient.
- Patients should continue to see their doctors regularly after treatment for any signs of recurrence.
- Support groups can help patients deal with the psychological and social stresses of living with cancer.