Putting It All Together: Anorexia NervosaFriday, March 16, 2012 - 14:53
Here is a summary of the important facts and information related to anorexia.
- Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder in which the person has a distorted body image and an intense fear of being fat, diets excessively, and experiences extreme weight loss.
- About 90% to 95% of people with anorexia nervosa are females between the ages of 13 and 30.
- Anorexia nervosa is thought to be caused by a combination of cultural, psychological, family, and genetic factors.
- The weight loss and malnutrition in anorexia nervosa can cause serious medical and psychological problems.
- Treatment usually includes dealing with any serious medical problems first and then focusing on weight gain and addressing the psychological issues that have led to the development and maintenance of the disorder.
- About 75% of people with anorexia nervosa experience improvement with treatment.
- Early diagnosis and treatment can help prevent serious medical and psychological problems from developing.